Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/01/1999 10:18:05
On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Feedback
> ========
>
> Thoughts/comments?

Hello Luke,

I guess I wouldn't change a thing... I think the current method of
using /etc/rc to start programs based on information from /etc/rc.conf
works fine. By adding extra config files and directories I think the
administration process for the startup scripts becomes more complex.
At work I use machines running AIX and I find that having to deal with
/etc/inittab, all of the /etc/rc.* scripts and contents of the /etc/rc2.d
directory to be a real pain at times. I really like the simplicity of
NetBSD's startup process.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |