Subject: re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/01/1999 17:35:20

   Other than that, I think the new scheme looks good. I honestly would
   prefer the extremely robust static rc + rc.conf setup we have now,
   because there are so few things that can break, and it's not like we
   have gobs of commercial packages that demand being able to install a
   startup script by dropping a file anyway, but I realise that a lot of
   people want this. If we switch, and it looks that way to me, I think we
   should do it whole-heartedly and not maintain old-rc compatibility as
   the old simplicity won't really be there anymore and that sort of dual
   system-ness tends to lead to confusion in general.

i dunno about this.  and here's why:

	- i will be using a generated /etc/rc

	- i will be, however, also using things like:

		% /etc/init.d/blah restart

	  a lot.  or stop.  or start.

to me, a major gain of this whole proposal is the simple functionality
displayed above (which is almost entirely derived form SysV, we've
added more arguments than 'stop' or 'start') -- the ability to start
or stop a daemon/sybsystem without having to know anything more than
what script controls it's operation.

but i still want the sanity of simple startup -- espcially on my slower
machines :-)

.mrg.