Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/01/1999 15:06:49
itojun@iijlab.net writes:
> 	correct me if I misunderstand something.

ok. :-)

> 	dependency list in /etc/init.d/foo looks good to me at a first glance,
> 	but when i've done reading it i'm a bit worried about problem tracking
> 	issues and support issues.
> 	it will become harder to track problems in rc script as rc script
> 	will be tailor-made to the installation site.  if random user says
> 	that she has some problem with start up script, we basically have
> 	to get her script, read it through, to track the problem.

we're going to ship with /etc/rc as the `static' file by default.
it's much easier, and boots in about 1/2 the time that /etc/rc.sh does
(on my ss10 anyway)

> 	since there's little manpower to handle PRs, I would vote to stick
> 	with simple-and-static rc and rc.conf...

(i don't buy that as a justification; if we used that we wouldn't add
any new features to the tree, incase they may cause a PR to be raised :)