Subject: Re: bin/8880: Output from pac not always formatted correctly.
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@uswest.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/27/1999 13:44:34
Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> Hi,
> seems like ANSI C and POSIX doesn't aggree on usage of "width" for %s
> type
> for printf(3). According to POSIX (Brian Stark sent me a scanned copy or
> relevant pages, I don't have copy available myself), "%24s" should mean
> in POSIX prontf(3) the same as "%.24s" means for ANSI C - i.e. use
> maximum of 24 characters from the passed string.

Just a clarification for those who haven't seen the related messages
posted to gnats-bugs: I don't have a copy of the POSIX 1003.1 document,
but I do have a copy of "POSIX Programmer's Guide" published by O'Reilly
and Associates. The pages that Jaromir mentions came from this book's
section on printf. Oh, my copy of the book appears to have been printed
in March 1994.

Brian
bstark@uswest.net