Subject: Re: bin/8880: Output from pac not always formatted correctly.
To: Brian Stark <bstark@uswest.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/27/1999 12:39:23
Hi,
seems like ANSI C and POSIX doesn't aggree on usage of "width" for %s
type
for printf(3). According to POSIX (Brian Stark sent me a scanned copy or
relevant pages, I don't have copy available myself), "%24s" should mean
in POSIX prontf(3) the same as "%.24s" means for ANSI C - i.e. use
maximum of 24 characters from the passed string.

Am I seriously confused or the POSIX and ANSI C really don't treat this
the
same way ? If so, it's rather unfortunate ...

From the POSIX:
			Description	Meaning of width	Meaning of precision
s	Argument is assumed to be	Specifies the maximum	UNDEFINED
	char *. Characters up to (but	number of characters
	not including) a terminating	to be written.
	null are written.

The ANSI C way is explained in manpage.

Jaromir