Subject: Re: killall(1) ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/22/1999 13:31:02
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> Andy Doran wrote:
> > ... and if that's the concensus then I have the killall(1) command ready
> > to go. We've had this discussion only a couple of months ago!.
>
> Did we ?

Yup.

> I looked at the psmisc package and its killall(1) seems like
> good to use (I didn't actually tried, just looked through manpage).
> It has fairly acceptable license (the author could probably be
> persuaded to asign the copyrights to TNF) and seems like this
> is even the killall(1) which Linux uses (at least it's the one
> installed on Debian I have access to). Certainly it's much better
> than the crude shell script I have written :)
>
> What do you have, Andy ?

In short, a killall(1) that selects processes by name or tty, written in C
with a BSD license.

It shares some code with kill(1). In fact, it'd be ridiculously easy to
combine the two and make the extra functionality a couple of command line
options. The binary size jumps quite a bit though (staticly linked against
libkvm).

- ad