Subject: Re: Type for wide characters
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/1999 12:42:30
Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> wchar_t should be 32bit at least, for example, Unicode (UCS-4, UTF-16
> and UTF-8) is 32bit charset now. And also, it is known that there are
> more than 65536 characters in CJK ideogram.
> Also, all commercial Unices (except AIX, which use 16bit character)
> and glibc use 32bit per character,

Thanks for this info.  I didn't realise any character set had more than
65536 characters.

The SUS spec says :

  chtype contains a character, attributes  and a colour-pair

so, I have used the bottom 16 bits for the character and the top 16 for
the attribute flags.  I was hoping that I'd be able to share the attribute
flags between `normal' and wide characters.  It's not a major problem if not
though.

So, any preference for the type for wchar_t, chtype and attr_t?

Thanks,

                         Of course it runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/