Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/08/1999 11:33:24
>>> Another potentially useful format would be one that would get the
>>> signal that caused the core.  This could be either name or number,
>>> preferably with both forms available
>> Good idea.  What letters ? :)
>
>My first impulse is to suggest %s and %S, but I think avoiding %s
>entirely would be a good idea.  (I'd also be inclined to avoid %d.)

i'd shy away from %s and %d...

>Perhaps %S0 and %Sa (numeric and alpha forms)?  %k and %K ("k"illing
>signal)?

and also from capital formats.  printf(3) doesn't have too many of
these and half of them (afaict) are "deprecated".  one more point...i
think the "format" part of the %thing shoudl be between the % and the
thing.  if you put it after, it makes it hard to use those characters
in those spots literally.

as for the comments on putting it in sysctl/rlimits or in a "user-
settable sysctl base", i'd opt for the latter, if at all possible.
then, with an established per-user/process sysctl area (with
inheritance ala rlimit), the way would be paved for something like
access control on system calls for individual processes.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|