Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/1999 22:53:37
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:
> makes more visual sense.  it might be fun to extend the %[npu] fields
> with things like d (for a number, always, as in %u), o or x for the
> pid (making it %xp), etc.  maybe even add %t for current time_t.  then
> i could have a coredump string of
>
>  /home/%u/.cores/%n.%08xt.%05p
>
> so that none of my coredumps get smashed.

a couple of things here:

* i'm not sure i'd bother with the precision/padding specs.  just pick
some sane default, and use it.  this doesn't need to be infinitely
flexible, just serve its purpose, and that seems overkill (that could
be added later if people really needed it).

* it's probably useful to add a specifier for the process start time
(p->p_stats->p_start) as well.

cgd