Subject: Re: Need some advice regarding portable user IDs
To: Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/18/1999 14:48:24
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>   I think Mac OS 8 will forget about the credentials.  I don't
> actually know much about how sharing works.
>
>   But the current file sharing behaviour is not entirely useful to
> think about, because it doesn't effect the local permissions (much),
> and the local permission are what I'm worried about.  Exported
> filesystems are another story, and I don't want to compilcate things
> too much by worrying about that right now.

My thought here was more that this was the closest thing to prior art that
MacOS has, and that that might be a good user experience to emulate. ;-)

Probably the thing to do is either have options to the mount call which
have the mounting user own everything, or to set up a umap which maps the
desired user to root for access on the filesystem.

Take care,

Bill