Subject: Re: Need some advice regarding portable user IDs
To: None <wsanchez@apple.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/17/1999 21:37:18
On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 07:17:45PM -0700, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>   A group of us at Apple are trying to figure out how to handle
> situations where a filesystem with "foreign" user ID's are present.

  (I don't know if this has already been mentioned -- it hasn't on
tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, which is where I saw this.)

  Have you looked at mount_umap(8)?  I (naively) think it would
solve most of your concerns.

``The mount_umap command is used to mount a sub-tree of an existing file
  system that uses a different set of uids and gids than the local system.
  Such a file system could be mounted from a remote site via NFS or it
  could be a file system on removable media brought from some foreign loca-
  tion that uses a different password file.''

  Brian Grayson