Subject: Re: increasing UT_HOSTSIZE for IPv6?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/26/1999 16:39:31
| As others have stated, utmpx is just utmp with bigger field lengths.
| This is the Wrong Answer.

  Yes and no. No because we will have the same problem next time
with IPV8 or whatever idea comes up. Yes because there is prior
art, other systems are using it.

  I tend to lean on the utmpx with /dev/utmp side, because there
are other things out there that grovel and/or write utmp entries
(xterm, ssh) which would be a pain to adapt to our incompatible
scheme.

  Of course, one could go one step further, and have a utmp database,
_AND_ a /dev/utmp _AND_ a /dev/utmpx which simulate file access.
Reminds me of Apollo Domain/OS' trait managers.

	mjl