Subject: Re: increasing UT_HOSTSIZE for IPv6?
To: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/24/1999 00:34:21
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Chris Torek wrote:

: I seem to recall that SysV now has a text-based umtp-equivalent
: file ("utmpx"), with the old utmp stuff around for compatibility.
: This seems like it might be the way to go, if it is not too badly
: broken.  Among other things, it could remove the length limits
: entirely, if the API uses dynamic allocation.

What we *COULD* do to make the transition easier, and work for older
binaries, is implement a compatibility device (/dev/utmp, symlinked from the
appropriate place) which does conversion of the read(), write() and seek()
operations on utmp.  Controlled by a kernel compile time option, of course.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)