Subject: Re: link(1) - when did it disappear?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/18/1999 22:38:06
>>> Even if you hard link a directory, you're not wasting an inode.
>>> What do you think "." and ".." are, anyway?

>> You misunderstood.  The case in question was not hard-linking a
>> directory; it was mirroring the directory structure and
>> hard-linking all the files.

> The original question was about hard-linking directories, which I
> believe was being addressed here by the "Even if..." clause.

The original question also included commentary on a couple of
alternatives to hard-linking directories.  If you review the
conversation, you'll find that I was very clearly addressing the
alternative of hard-linking all of the files.  greywolf misunderstood
(thus, "you misunderstood") and thought I was addressing the original
question.

(This is totally pointless, of course; there's no technical
disagreement.  If people continue to misunderstand, I'll allow them to
do so without cluttering the mailing list.)