Subject: Re: link(1) - when did it disappear?
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/18/1999 18:50:38
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:37:38 +0200  Lucio De Re wrote:

> I must confess I have never seen it in NetBSD, but my Sys V Rel 3.1 system
> and all Sys Vs I've come across since included link(1) for the superuser to
> create hard links to directories.

Historically on BSD systems ln(1) would do this if the user was
superuser.  Not all filesystems now support links to directories.
This behaviour is more or less deprecated.

There are debates from time to time about whether it should be allowed
or not; sufficiently often the answer is "no" that I no longer expect
this functionality to be supplied on a Unix-like system.  This is a
round about way of saying I've no idea what NetBSD currently does. :-)

Regards,

Giles