Subject: Re: Enhanced locale support for 1.4
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/1999 19:04:59
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:28:46 -0700 (PDT)
 Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:

 > How would it be more fortuitous through an actual function call
 > than through direct access?  I'd actually be wont to macrofy things
 > in the name of performance than to functionise things in the name
 > of data hiding or whatever else.

...because if it's a macro, where the program accesses members of the
function directly (via the macro), then you can't change the structure
for the sake of what is otherwise purely internal implementation.

If all the access is done in functions in libc, then the user program's
objects don't know or care what the actual structre looks like.

(Remember, everything is done through a FILE *, not a struct whatever...)