Subject: Re: Enhanced locale support for 1.4
To: None <cgd@netbsd.org, soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/1999 15:17:46
> It's not clear to me that if a group wants to work on and integrated
> better locale support, it should be put off for a "to be done
> eventually" project.

Hm. How can I put the project put off for a "to be done project" ? :-)

> However, it's really fairly imporant for the ABIs to be binary
> compatible, either for better locale support that might be integrated,
> or for whatever you're working on.  If it can't be done by API
> compatibility, then it needs to be done via __RENAME hacks, etc.

Unfortunately, if it is completed, "struct __sFILE" (i.e. FILE of <stdio.h>)
will be changed, thus, I suppose that __RENAME hack doesn't work well.

> If you major-number-bump libc, you _really_ need to bump the major
> number of _every shared library_ that depends on libc's facilities.
> That means pretty much every shared library we ship (including X),
> plus the ones in pkgsrc, etc.  That way lies madness.

Yes, I know. Perhaps it is best that  we'll introduce it at the same
time when a.out -> elf switching on i386.
--
soda