Subject: Re: CVS commit: src (identd -L)
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/19/1999 12:51:19
In message <Pine.NEB.4.10.9905181603070.13953-100000@himring.draga.com> Jim Wise writes:
: >   #!/usr/local/bin/perl
: >   ($_=<>);
: >   ($mine,$your)=(/(\d+)/g);
: >   print("$your , $mine : USERID : UNIX :george\r\n");
: >
: >this is my identd, which runs as a "nowait" service.  the problem is,
: >of course, that it will hang if the "client" to identd doesn't say
: >anything.  :)
:
: Yup.  Also, it's not clear to me that the perl interpreter is any
: lighter weight than identd -L's fast path, when identd is started
: nowait.  Same goal - different way of getting there.  :)

Yes.  I've seen many different ways of writing this perl script.  By
far the best was a modification by Tom Christiansen of a scrip that I
wrote for him:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
print "$a , $b : USERID : UNIX : Warm-Fuzzy\r\n";

I've been using warm-fuzzy as a lint trap for identd abuses for a long
time...

Warner