Subject: Re: ps /proc changes (CVS commit: src)
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/27/1999 15:47:10
On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 10:44:19AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> You only check if /proc/1/status exists and an readonly /proc.
> I think that is not enough. You have to check that /proc is an procfs.

  I just committed a check via statfs (thanks Christos!).  I
think that's probably the best we can do (well, we could do a
statfs on every file before we open it, if folks really think
that's necessary).

> You later send a warning that the results could be wrong. This is a good idea
> but it would be better to check for an procfs and not send this 6 lines
> at the bottom of the output which length the ps output.

  I changed the output under error conditions to be more precise,
and the output if /proc exists (and is usable) to simply be:

Warning:  /proc does not provide valid data for all fields.

> There is no way to disable the /proc search when there is a problem between
> the ps binary and the kernel.

  -K has been committed!

  Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

  Brian