Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/1999 19:56:43
On Mar 19,  8:27am, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
}
} >      How often would you want third party stuff to run before the
} > system stuff?  Could you give some real world examples where this is
} > necessary?  If its really necessary, we could provide several hooks at
} > strategic locations.
}
} One example off the top of my head: I might have /usr in (or critical
} pieces in it symlinked to) a "third-party" distributed filesystem like
} Coda or AFS..

     Hmm, okay.  Coda is in the package system, so it could be adapted
to do the right thing.  I don't know about AFS.  Of course, if these
are the only examples, hooks could be placed in the configuration
machinery for them.  Although, I'm not that's a good precidence to be
setting.  I suppose we could provide a hook right after the network
starts.

}-- End of excerpt from Bill Sommerfeld