Subject: Re: Renaming /var/run/syslog.socket
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/1999 11:26:17
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > This particular problem can be generalized into a compatibility issue
> > of far higher severity: executables statically linked against libc
> > still refer to the old pathname of the socket(!).
> This is no problem. Whoever runs -current should read current-users, and has
> been warned.

``So what''. Just dumping old binaries isn't really an option, because
there may be issues that prevent recompiling for the one or other reason.
Maybe have another look at FreeBSD, they define something like
_PATH_OLD_SYSLOG(sp?), but I have no idea what they do with it.

> I wonder whether pointing people to adding -p /var/run/log would be enough
> for Huberts concern...
>
> after all, it didn't work before, either.

Right, but this isn't really an excuse. :)
So again: please tell me if you do object to rename the socket (again),
else i'll do it on the weekend. (Thanks for the syslog.3 hint :)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>