Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: seebs@plethora.net, dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/1999 22:38:11
On Mar 16, 10:58pm, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
} In message <Pine.NEB.4.10.9903162007500.364-100000@mobile>, dustin sallings wri
} tes:
} >	PAM support[0]?
} >	Replacing rc with a modular system like rc.d[1]?
}
} >[0] There was a discussion about this, don't know where it went.
}
} Personally, I continue to *much* prefer "BSD Authentication".  We can get
} source, and it has *significant* advantages.  (e.g., a non-suid program

     It has a major disadvantage in that its proprietary.  Having yet
another proprietary authentication method would be very bad.  I've
spent way too much time modifying too many programs for too many
proprietary authentication methods.  A standarised framework for
adding authentication methods which all programs can just use without
modification would be really really nice.

}-- End of excerpt from seebs@plethora.net