Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Alan C.Horn <ahorn@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 20:02:54
[Large Cc: list trimmed somewhat]

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 12:59:11AM -0600, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>
>> This would be nice.  On the other hand, traditionally BSD uses csh for root,
>> and we probably need a stronger motivation to change it.  Not to mention the
>> fact that folks will suddenly lose the environment they're accustomed to
>> when they install new systems (.cshrc and .login, particularly), and
>> apparently for no strong technical reason...
>
>FWIW, I'd gladly lose the environment I'm accustomed to finding after
>installing NetBSD... One of the first things I do is change over to using
>/bin/sh. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case with most people.

FWIW, We generally change root's shell to tcsh, so whether it's changed or
not doesn't effect us in this case, since we'll just continue to change
the result to tcsh.

I'm probably not most people, but I've never encountered any problems in
setting it this way. :) I would say _most_ people probably just leave it
alone, whatever it is.

Cheers,

Al

--
Alan Horn - Sysadmin - Dreamworks (+1 818 695 6256) - ahorn@anim.dreamworks.com
 It is a sad and terrible thing that high-born folk really have thought that