Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Scott Reynolds <scott.reynolds@Plexus.COM>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 22:48:03
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 12:59:11AM -0600, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> This would be nice.  On the other hand, traditionally BSD uses csh for root,
> and we probably need a stronger motivation to change it.  Not to mention the
> fact that folks will suddenly lose the environment they're accustomed to
> when they install new systems (.cshrc and .login, particularly), and
> apparently for no strong technical reason...

FWIW, I'd gladly lose the environment I'm accustomed to finding after
installing NetBSD... One of the first things I do is change over to using
/bin/sh. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case with most people.

If there are strong reasons for keeping csh as the default then so be it,
but for myself I'll enthusiastically support /bin/sh.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped