Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 17:29:53
    Scott> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Michael Richardson wrote:

    Scott> I strongly prefer sh/ksh, but making this change without
    Scott> more serious discussion was unwise.
    >>  Agreed. But, keeping toor means that we keep the concept that
    >> "root" isn't the only uid==0.

    Scott> I was referring only to the change of the root login shell,
    Scott> above.  I apologize if that wasn't clear.

    Scott> Regarding your own paranoia, having the toor account really
    Scott> doesn't help you, does it?

  I remove the "toor" account, disable the "root" account and add
"rootmcr", "rootfoo", "rootbar", etc.
  Keeping "toor" in the distribution means that people writing/testing
code continue to test for uid==0 rather than "strcmp(foo, "root")"

]                   At IETF44 in Minneapolis, MN                |  firewalls  [