Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 10:31:14
    Scott> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

    >> I heartily welcome the removal of toor which I have never seen
    >> a serious use for.

    Scott> In addition to this, I'm paranoid about having more than
    Scott> one account with uid 0.  It's one of those things that I've

  On the other hand, I'm paranoid about system managers having to
share root passwords, and need them all to work to authenticate at
single-user mode. (something Penguins do very badly, btw)

    Scott> I strongly prefer sh/ksh, but making this change without
    Scott> more serious discussion was unwise.

  Agreed. But, keeping toor means that we keep the concept that "root"
isn't the only uid==0.

]                   At IETF44 in Minneapolis, MN                |  firewalls  [