Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Scott Reynolds <scott.reynolds@Plexus.COM>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 00:59:11
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> I heartily welcome the removal of toor which I have never seen a
> serious use for.

In addition to this, I'm paranoid about having more than one account with
uid 0.  It's one of those things that I've always been uncomfortable with
but lacked the will to argue to remove it.  Masking this by smashing
/etc/security to not complain about `toor' feels like a bad idea, even if
the risk of having the account is small.

As noted previously, it's easy enough to add back doors if one really thinks
they're necessary.

> I also welcome the change of root's login shell
> to be sh instead of csh -- the reason is that it is then consistent
> with single-user mode's default offer of running sh.

This would be nice.  On the other hand, traditionally BSD uses csh for root,
and we probably need a stronger motivation to change it.  Not to mention the
fact that folks will suddenly lose the environment they're accustomed to
when they install new systems (.cshrc and .login, particularly), and
apparently for no strong technical reason...

I strongly prefer sh/ksh, but making this change without more serious
discussion was unwise.

--scott