Subject: Re: patch to allow /etc/ld.so.conf configure directories for ELF
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/11/1999 11:24:14
On 11 Mar 1999 08:55:47 -0800
 cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou) wrote:

 > In other words, I don't particularly care which you choose (and/or
 > NetBSD chooses), as long as it's not _both_.  It doesn't make sense to
 > use both.  I happened to choose RPATH when i came to this choice
 > originally, because that's what most ELF systems do.

I, however, DO care.

RPATH allows you to have e.g. 2 libutil.so's on your system (maybe a
3rd party package has one!).

I REALLY don't want ld.elf_so to have ld.so.conf functionality.  At all.

ELF uses RPATH on every system on the planet, except for Linux and
(I think) FreeBSD.  And we have all expressed dissatisfaction with how
those two systems handled the transition to ELF.