Subject: Re: disklabel
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de, fair@clock.org>
From: ITOH Yasufumi <yasufu-i@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/09/1999 12:59:23
In article <199903081107.AA13492@zel459>
drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de writes:

> While you might be right about this, such a warning should not
> be attached to the end cylinder information imo. Principle of
> least surprise or so.

Agreed.  Hmm,

1. leave it fixed (display second '*' if the end of partition is unaligned)
2. restore the original (display second '*' if partition size is odd)
3. restore the original with a different look

By the way, I found the disklabel(8) of DEC OSF/1 does the "fixed" behavior.
Did you fix it? :-)
How about other BSDs?

In article <v04020a26b308b8858335@[209.157.85.34]>
fair@clock.org writes:

> On SPARC and Sun3, the boot PROMs get upset with partition tables that
> contain partitions in non-integer numbers of cylinders.

Thanks for information.  I didn't know the fact
since I've never created such a partition on Sun's. :-)
--
ITOH, Yasufumi <yasufu-i@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>, <itohy@netbsd.org>