Subject: Re: major hier(7) overhauls?
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/31/1999 05:33:35
On Jan 27,  3:25pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
}
} always required a certain amount of hacking.  For example the "base"
} system requires at least ~60MB on an i386 (with 1.3.3) unless you
} manually strip stuff out, and that doesn't leave *any* breathing room

     Umm, here is a df from an unstripped 1.3.3 i386 box:

snoopyrouter# df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       19719    12643     6090    67%    /
/dev/wd0g       53255    32001    18591    63%    /usr
/dev/wd0f        4935      568     4120    12%    /var
/dev/wd0e        4935        1     4687     0%    /tmp
kernfs              1        1        0   100%    /kern
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

And, from that you can subtract:

snoopyrouter# du -ks /usr/home
13411   /usr/home

There is also a 16MB swap partition, but the machine isn't swapping.
As the name implies, it's just a router.  The machine has the base,
etc, secr, and kern sets on it plus a custom kernel.

} for swap or /var.  Sure you can use the separation of /usr to do some of

     Given, the above, you can easily squeeze everything on to a 60MB
drive.

P.S.  Most of /usr/home is:

-rw-r-----  1 jnemeth  staff  9684028 Jan 14 22:21 base.tgz
-rw-r-----  1 jnemeth  staff   961222 Jan 14 21:09 netbsd
-rw-r-----  1 jnemeth  staff  2211878 Jan 14 21:22 netbsd.GENERIC
-rw-r-----  1 jnemeth  staff   804029 Jan 14 22:27 secr.tgz

That stuff is there because I upgraded from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 remotely.
Going to where the machine is located isn't convenient.  To do the
upgrade, I built a custom kernel on another machine, ftp'ed everything
to it, telnet'ed in, unpacked base and secr, copied the kernels into
place, and rebooted.  Doing a major upgrade is somewhat more
complicated because of libc incompatibilites with old kernels and
having to deal with a new etc set.  So, I haven't tried to do that
remotely yet.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods