Subject: Re: Moving /var/cron/tabs
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/19/1998 15:50:48
On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, John Nemeth wrote:

: } Right! I'd forgotten about that one, but while we're at it, can we
: } move /var/cron/tabs to /etc/crontabs or something similar?
:
:      You would also have to worry about /var/account, /var/at/jobs,
: /var/log, /var/mail, /var/msgs, /var/preserve, /var/spool, and
: /var/yp.  Clearly, there are many things in /var that need to be
: backed up to get a full system backup, which means this suggested
: change is completely pointless.  I really don't see what the problem
: is or why Manuel considers this to be a bug.

Actually, my backups of workstations contain *only* /var/cron/tabs
underneath /var.

Excepting mail and old logs (which don't matter to me from non-server
boxes), from the above paths you state I can recreate everything else.
Even /var/yp on the YP servers, from system files.

The big thing about /var/cron/tabs is that these are actually config files
residing in the volatile file path.  That's why they don't quite fit the
above.