Subject: Syslog Startup
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/25/1998 12:29:12
I'm running dhclient in my /etc/netstart.local on a 1.3.2 system,
and I'm having problems debugging weird DHCP server behaviour
because what it does isn't logged. Syslogd is run after netstart.

I'd like to have your comments on the effects of doing the following,
in order to enable logging during netstart:

Instead of the current order, which is

    - run netstart
    - mount critical file systems
    - start syslogd

we would do

    - mount critical filesystems
    - run syslogd with the user options and -s option (no network)
    - run netstart
    - kill syslogd and run it again with just user options

This would enable us to log dhclient startup, and, as far as I can
tell, preserve other behaviour.

I'd be happy to make the changes, though I'd need someone to test
it on -current for me, because I don't have a current system handy
at the moment.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.