Subject: Re: lpd and filter programs
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/1998 06:50:55
On 21-Jul-98 Erik E. Fair spoke unto us all:
#  I recognize the impulse to change lpr/lpd as suggested here. If you "know"
#  the remote printer speaks PostScript, then you want to use local resources
#  (which may not be present at the spooler - lpr(1) makes reference to this
#  in talking about Fonts) to do the transformation to PostScript. It's
#  something I've needed or wanted to do any number of times myself. However,
#  I suggest that we think carefully about *how* we do it, and what result we
#  want...

I think the big motivation behind this is that most people are going to run
lpr/lpd on a local ethernet wire.  If you are like me, and have your printers
on an old 486, you may want to do your formatting on a faster machine, and pass
it down the line.

I have no problem with adding things like more filter flags (for ps for
example), and adding things like this, with the understanding that we keep
compatibility with old protocols.  Not necc. a flag, but something like "if you
don't set it up in the configure file, it won't do that" would be ideal.  I
think enhancing the netbsd setup is a smart thing to do.. no reason to keep old
thinking if it really doesn't apply to our situation any more..

Just MHO.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html