Subject: Re: lpd and filter programs
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG, tron@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/19/1998 14:52:10
On 18 Jul 1998, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> Is there any good reason why filters are not used for remote hosts? This
> makes it impossible to use automatic filter programs like "magicfilter"
> with a printer connected to a printer server or own ethernet interface.

While I also think that filters should be processed for remote printers,
maybe the following extract from printcap.5 will help you also:

     lp      str     /dev/lp           device name to open for output to local
                                       printer, or port@host for remote
                                       printer/printer on print server

So, if you have a printer with it's own ethernet interface, just use the
port@host version and be ok with it, filters will be applied there. Here's
what I'm using for a HP Laserjet 4m+ w/ a JetDirect card:

hplj|hpki|HP Laserjet 4m+ U511:\
        :lp=9100@ps2:sd=/var/spool/output/hpki:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sh:if=/usr/local/magicfilter-1.2/bin/ljet4m-filter:

Note that the port 9100 seems to be pretty undocumented, it'll just print
out whatever you send it, thus I prepend some magicfilter to do the right
things WRT content transformation. ps2 is the hostname of the printer as
resolved via DNS.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>