Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/20/1998 10:49:03
On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Ronald Khoo wrote:

: > a) pkgs that install, and should[1] install in /usr/X11R6
:
: Hm  You seem to be missing a footnote [1]
:
: What packages "should" install in the projectroot and why ?
: Always wondered, would be interested to know the rationale..

- Anything that uses app-defaults. [**]
- Anything that installs an X-specific program library.
- Anything that uses imake (because Imake.tmpl defines ProjectRoot). [*]

[*] This is not always true, because I have additions that I have added to
<site.def> that can dynamically redefine ProjectRoot simply by setting
PREFIX in the environment.

[**] Unfortunately, a *lot* of programs use app-defaults, which begs the
question "Can we make handling of app-defaults files work with more than one
${PREFIX}?"