Subject: Re: NOPORTDOCS in pkgsrc ?
To: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/23/1998 17:59:48
On Sat, 23 May 1998, Dan McMahill wrote:
<NOPORTDOCS>
> Is this in fact the prefered thing?

I'd rather see the whole NOPORTSDOC mess nuked from the orbit, as it's
IMHO very sensible to distribute documentation with packages. Else you'll
never know what ends up on a user's harddisk... Imagine telling someone
to RTM and he can't because he had that variable set. Bummer.

> If a
> program's Makefile installs docs
> and/or examples by default for target 'install', should I remove it from
> there and put it in the pkg Makefile as shown above, or should I patch the
> program Makefile to have:
>
> .if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
> #doc install stuff here
> .endif
>
> Comments anyone?

As I said above, don't bother. Just install all the docs without making
this optional.

> BTW, this variable wasn't mentioned in the pkg docs as
> far as I can tell.

That's most probably because this "feature" was never really considered
useful.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>