Subject: Re: library man pages
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/10/1998 11:17:33
On Sat, 10 Jan 98 11:14:49 -0800
 "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com> wrote:

 > quick example from Digital UNIX (not necessarily 'right', but another
 > system, and one which documents the libraries that things are in):

Actually, this is reasonable... my biggest problem with Perry's original
proposal is that the library was all the way at the end...

...If we do have a LIBRARY section, the library names should be -mandoc
macros:

.Lb libc

...or something like that, that emitted:

    Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a)

.Lb libm

    Math Library (libm.so, libm.a)

..and if it's not found:

.Lb libfoo

    Foo library (libfoo.so, libfoo.a)

...etc.

 > getpwent(3)                                                       getpwent(3)
 >
 > NAME
 >
 >   endpwent, fgetpwent, getpwent, getpwnam, getpwuid, putpwent, setpwent,
 >   setpwfile, endpwent_r, fgetpwent_r, getpwent_r, getpwnam_r, getpwuid_r,
 >   setpwent_r - Access user attribute information in the user database
 >
 > LIBRARY
 >
 >   Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a)
 >
 > SYNOPSIS
 >
 >   #include <pwd.h>
 >
 >   void endpwent(void);
 >
 > [ ... ]
 >

 > "It's a thought."
 >

 > cgd

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935