Subject: Re: port-i386/4651: Man page describing booting NetBSD from Wind
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG, woods@web.net>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/13/1997 01:52:02
In article <m0xgicu-0009vFC@kuma.web.net> you write:
> The point is that manual pages and /usr/share/doc have vastly different
> purposes and vastly differnt styles of *usage*.  The former is like a
> desk reference set, and the latter is more like a novel.

So why is "man something" the appropriate method of reading reference
material, and "more /usr/share/doc/something" more approriate for
"volume 2" stuff? Why can't I use man to read either one?

> Perhaps.  However the *style* differences between manual pages and the
> other documentation is critically important and I feel it must be
> maintained.

Maybe we're talking about different things.  I'm not suggesting
rewriting the /usr/share/doc stuff in a different _writing_ style; All
I'm suggesting is converting them to a slightly different _typographic_
style, and putting them under /usr/share/man/{cat,man}X with some
yet-to-be-determined X.

Otherwise, I still fail to see how making them availible through the man
command conflicts with any of your points.