Subject: Re: port-i386/4651: Man page describing booting NetBSD from Wind
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/12/1997 07:12:42
On 12-Dec-97 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#
# It doesn't break _our_ man(1) behavior--add such a section as '4z' to
# /etc/man.conf, put something in that man directory, and man it.  It will
# work fine.  My suggestion was to _add_ -s to explicitly specify a man
# section so there would be no confusion betwen page name and section name.
# (It certainly wouldn't be a required option by any means.)

I can't argue with an option.  Add all the extensible behavior you like.. just
don't break anything.. ;)

# : I like the A and H section ideas. A) it doesnt break current man behavior.
#
# Should I go pull out SVR3 and tell you what the 1-letter codes "should" be?
# (Yes, UN*X has used single letters instead of numbers before; SVR3 used man
# catgories that were only letters.)  I still argue 7h to prevent a slip back
# into SVR3 style; I certainly wouldn't propose 1h or 8h because thse
# documents simply aren't commands (the basis for sections 1 and 8).

Do we really want to follow a convention that SVR4 didn't even take with them?
I think looking to SVR3 for guidance is like looking at cavemen for advice on
tool use.  I suppose it really doesn't matter..  I just suggested H because
it's somewhat mnemonic.  If you have to tell users that help is under "j" they
are going to look at you funny.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html