Subject: Re: port-i386/4651: Man page describing booting NetBSD from Wind
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/12/1997 02:51:28
[ On Thu, December 11, 1997 at 13:13:06 (-0600), Ty Sarna wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: port-i386/4651: Man page describing booting NetBSD from Wind
>
> I agree about /usr/share/doc (which someone else -- Hubert? --
> mentioned). Anyone who knows anything about unix knows man. OTOH,
> even experienced sysadmins coming from other systems man not think to
> check /usr/share/doc. Another benefit of man is apropos.
>
> I think weshould actually be moving stuff out of /usr/share/doc into
> manpages, but it's not an easy task.

That's a *bad* idea.  Manual pages are *references* (or in the odd case
"cookbooks", such as adduser and diskless).  /usr/share/doc is where
detailed background docs, implementation docs, user guides, admin
guides, tutorials, etc. should go.  (I.e. it's volume two!)

If you want more features to make /usr/share/doc easier to use, then
perhaps something akin to GNU Info needs to be put in place for it,
complete with indexing tools, hypertext browsers, etc.  This should be
relatively trivial (a S.M.O.P.) given the closer resemblance of doc(7)
to a markup language than a layout language, though I guess one would
have to convert all of the docs in /usr/share/doc to doc(7) first.  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>