Subject: Re: su to root hangs...
To: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/29/1997 10:03:35
> Whenever I log into one of my NetBSD boxes as myself and try to su
> into root, after the password authentication, it just hangs (I have
> to ctrl-c to get my shell back).

> If I ps -x as root from a different log in, I see the su process is hung:
> 28857 p0  I<+    0:00.03 _csh -m (su)

> Anyone have an idea?

I have no idea what's wrong, but I have an idea for how to track it
down.

Log in as yourself.  Note the process ID of your shell.

Log in as root and start a ktrace on the shell, with the -i flag.

Try the su.  ^C it when it hangs.

Stop the ktrace, either with ktrace -C from the root session or by
logging out of your session.

kdump the file and find out what syscall is getting stuck.  The last
dozen or so lines of the trace probably contain the critical
information.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca