Subject: su works after reboot!
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/29/1997 09:57:56
 AHA!

I can su into root now!! I've discovered that if you add yourself to the
wheel group, you must reboot to enable su to root !? Even though, as I
showed in my original message, when you issue the id command it shows you in
wheel.

If power hadn't gone out last night, I'd still be pulling my hair out. I
verified this on another machine:

Made a new user.
Added the new user to group wheel.
su'd to a different user...no problem, exited back.
su'd to root...it hung.
reboot the system and log in as the new user.
su'd to root...no problem.

ktrace revealed that it was hanging at the point where it should have been
opening a new csh. Up to that point, kdump looked exactly like a dump I did
on an su working system.

Bottom line: reboot after you add yourself to wheel.

Thanks to all of you!
Don Ray - Service Technologies
Picker International
600 Beta Drive,