Subject: Re: su to root hangs...
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/28/1997 07:15:28
>On Aug 28, Don Ray wrote
>> Whenever I log into one of my NetBSD boxes as myself and try to su into
>> root, after the password authentication, it just hangs (I have to ctrl-c to
>> get my shell back).
>> [...]

>Can be a network problem (related to yellow pages, or NFS). Do you
>su from an NFS-mounted directory, or is your /var/mail nfs mounted ?
>I experiences such hangs (which are in facts long timeouts) when my mail
>server is down.

The same thing could possibly happen if you're telnetted in from a
remote machine -- trying to resolve the hostname you're logged in
from.

Although if that's the case, it should also hang while you're
attempting to telnet in.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.