Subject: su to root hangs...
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/28/1997 09:59:19
 Hi,

I hope someone here can help me:

Whenever I log into one of my NetBSD boxes as myself and try to su into
root, after the password authentication, it just hangs (I have to ctrl-c to
get my shell back).

Expirimenting, when I enter the wrong password, it replies "Sorry" then
hangs (I have to ctrl-c to get my shell back). If I'm logged in as root, su
works (doesn't ask for password.)

Here's some facts:
I'm a member of wheel in /etc/group, verified by `id`:
uid=23071(dray) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff), 0(wheel)

There's only one su command, it's in /usr/bin and set as follows:
-r-sr-x---  1 root  wheel  12288 Aug 13  1996 su

If I ps -x as root from a different log in, I see the su process is hung:
28857 p0  I<+    0:00.03 _csh -m (su)

Anyone have an idea?
Thanks!

Don Ray - Service Technologies