Subject: Re: setuid, core dumps, ftpd, and DB
To: Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/21/1996 14:37:52
At 09:58 AM 10/20/96 +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>As Chris G Demetriou wrote:
>
>> Charles, re: "is a core dump on this weird file system safe"?
>> Actually, a good solution there might be a "NOCOREDUMP" mount flag, a
>> la NOSUID and NOEXEC.  That has several advantages:
>
>It doesn't solve the problem where this discussion originated, but i
>like this idea.  I've seen programs dump 80 MB core files over
>ethernet -- and once they do this, you cannot stop them.  (Maybe you
>could quickly delete the file from the server, so the client would get
>a stale NFS file handle, but it's a crock.)

Heck, early in the summer I caused a 180MB core file to be sent over NFS.

Nobody from the helpdesk could log into the NFS server. The login server
had an ugly load average, and a hung process that couldn't be kill -9'd.
It sorted itself out, after a while, but tying up servers in a corporate
environment is on the list of "bad things to do".

Since I had just started work a month before, and had decided that I didn't
like the way the shell and environment was set up, I set up my own. I didn't
set the flag to limit the core file size until afterwards.

It was a total accident.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu