Subject: timezone() vs. timezone
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/1996 15:52:51
Our C library has the function timezone().  This conflicts with the
variable timezone we could enable in the time code (libc/time/*) for
sysv & xopen compatibility.

I think standards compatibility is reasonable in this case, especially
since the timezone() function is pretty much useless.  It is impossible
to map an offset from UTC to a timezone abbreviation.

So in the next major revision to the libraries, I'd like to move
timezone() to libcompat and enable the code to support the timezone
variable.

If there are any objections to this plan, please speak up now.

	--jtc