Subject: Re: getpw*() changes to support YP netgroups
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/14/1995 16:42:13
> I now have a version of the passwd routines that support netgroups.
> Unfortunately, the db format of the passwd file will change when I
> commit them so things will break. The best way upgrade is to:
>
> Another idea would be to change the library version...
> I am open to suggestions...

I don't think that changing the library major version isn't going to
help anything.  It probably be worse -- then all existing executables
will break, instead of just statically linked and pre-libc.12.X
executables.

Changing the format of the passwd database files is not something to
be taken lightly.  Quite a few, perhaps most, of the programs I use
every day use getpwnam(), etc. and will have to be re-compiled.

I think that the following questions have to be answered:

	1. Do the advantages of this change outweigh the
	   disadvantages?  In particular, consider comercial software
	   that does not come with source.

	2. what has been done so that we won't be faced with this same
	   issue 6 months or one year from now?