Subject: Re: magic
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/28/1995 01:17:21
> >    People using SunOS should make such a link, or, better yet, should
> >    make a link from /emul/sunos/etc/termcap to /usr/share/misc/etc/termcap.
> >
> > i agree totally with this.  i'll send-pr a patch for compat_sunos(8)
> > soon.
>
> It might be needed for more than SunOS compatibility.
>
> I suspect there are a few programs that read /etc/termcap directly.
> There must have been at least one, because I can't think of any other
> reason why I'd create the /etc/termcap symlink that's on my system
> right now.

I think i may have sidetracked us with a typo...

I meant /etc/magic (though the same applies for /etc/termcap).

/etc/termcap hasn't been in /etc/ for a _long_ time in NetBSD, and,
indeed, for a long time we've not installed a link to the
/usr/share/misc version into /etc, either...

I think the same should be true of 'magic'.  8-)

chris