Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1994 00:24:45
> [ stuff about lcc.]  Check it out!

yes, i was actually already aware of lcc.

The problem is, i don't have 6 months of "compiler development" time
to throw at it.  Other than its obvious deficiencies, and my lack of
time to correct them, in my opinion, it's a better choice.

I'd rather have a compact, useful operating system than a large,
continually growing system, which borderline unmaintainable.
I say this, because i absolutely refuse to touch the internals of any
of the GNU bits of NetBSD's toolchain.  It's also worth noting that
/usr/src/gnu is currently 33M, which is a very large fraction of the
size of the entire source tree...  "whatever."

chris