Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: None <jtc@cygnus.com>
From: David S. Miller <davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1994 16:19:26
   Date: Wed, 07 Dec 1994 12:10:30 -0800
   From: "J.T. Conklin" <jtc@cygnus.com>
   Sender: owner-tech-userlevel@netbsd.org

   The reason I think the last point is the most important is because we
   can expect drawbacks like the performance issues, and the remainder of
   POSIX.2 work, to be addressed by others.  Ash is what it is today, and
   I don't see any volunteers lining up to fix it's defects.  I know that
   the pdksh maintainer is busy just like the rest of us, but he has been
   very responsive to the the patches that I submitted and performance
   issues I discovered during the alpha and beta process.

   Thoughts?

I am new around here, but may I ask why distributing the GNU Bash
shell hasn't been considered? It can't be strictly because it is GPL'd
code because gcc is in netbsd (albeit an old version). Is it due to
the core size that bash can take up? If this is the case then bash can
be compiled to be more minimal, and bash is a completely POSIXized
shell. I welcome your thoughts....

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu